Any discussion of litter box problems begins with an understanding of cat behavior. Cats are very territorial and often express territorial stress around the litterbox. They are also very sensitive to smells and textures. Here are some troubleshooting tips:
1. In a multi-cat household, the rule of thumb is one litter box per cat, and one extra. Come as close to this as you can.
2. Cats may prefer either a covered or open litter box.
3. Dusty or perfumed litters can aggravate respiratory conditions.
4. Some cats prefer a softer litter under their paws.
5. Make sure to keep the litter box very clean.
6. Cats appreciate a variety of reading material near the litter box (just kidding!).